Thursday, August 9, 2012

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Outlook Client failed to install due to Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Service Pack 2 failed to be downloaded

With the latest integration between Office 365 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM online services, I have been experiencing a few different installation and connectivity issues.  Today’s issue was originally related to unable to Get CRM for Outlook from the Online notification bar.  When I click “Get CRM for Outlook” button, it pops up a page with url http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=194222&clcid=0x409 and I had Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage error.  So I decided to download and install the Outlook client manually.  (I am setting up a new CRMOnline demo for a client, hence have to go through this process again)

To download the CRM for Outlook client, I use this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27821 

During the installation process, I experienced the following error:

The installation has failed.  Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2 did not download successfully.  To try again, ensure your internet connection is working, then try again.  Click the link below to view the log file.

image

I decided to download and install it manually.  To download the installation file, I use this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5783

During installing SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2, I have the first warning screen.

Warning – On a 64-bit Computer, install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 MSI files. Existing SQL Server Compact 3.5 applications will fail if only the 32-bit version is installed on the 64-bit computer.  Developers should chain both the 32-bit and the 64-bit MSI files with their applications and install both of them on the 64-bit Computer.  See Install.txt file for more information.  Click ‘Yes’ to Continue.

image

I clicked ‘Yes’, then continued installation, all went well!  Then I need to configure the Outlook client.  When the Configuration wizard pops up, I selected Server URL to be CRM Online and click test connection, I experienced this error:

Cannot connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM server because we cannot authenticate your credentials.  Check your connection or contact your administrator for help.

image

I clicked OK to continue.  Then a login screen pops up.

image

I input my registered Office365 user name and password, then I see a better confirmation screen

image

I clicked OK and finally saw a better promising screen.

image

There is always new experience everyday with CRM! Smile

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Great Article. I have 64-bit OS and 32-bit outlook. I was facing the error and was able to reach upto the last screenshot but during "Initializing the organization" it goes half way and gives error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.".
    Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check this out http://www.ec.co.za/barry-francis/2013/10/7/microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-outlook-client-issues

      Delete
  2. I read this piece of writing fully about the comparison of most recent and earlier technologies, it's remarkable article.
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online Training | Microsoft Dynamics AX Training

    ReplyDelete